no jumping

no jumping

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Small Victories


Had my parent-teacher-student-counselor conference today. Sigh 'o' relief.

I was a little nervous because the first parent-teacher conference didn't go so well. I got splattered to the floor by a well-to-do doctor who scheduled a meeting with me so that she could make it clear, without telling me outright, that she knew I was a new teacher and that she would be on to my every move. Fun stuff.

So today went much better. The parents were very supportive and I feel optimistic that we got the student on board with the plan as well.

After the meeting I talked with the counselor for about an hour. She was really helpful and gave me some great tips that I plan to use asap.

Then I rushed out to my ACP (Alternative Certification Program) class and took a practice PPR. Scored an 81 without studying a lick. Not too shabby.

Today I had a brief moment of relief and optimism. I was able to envision my classroom as a well-oiled machine. I appreciate the people that offer me the encouragement and remind me that I'm on my way to that place. I appreciate the people that remind me that I've only been doing this for 8 weeks now and no one can be an expert at anything in only 8 weeks. It's just I see these teachers out there doing such incredible things and I just want to be there...be like them. It's hard for me to reconcile to the fact that getting to that point takes time. Baby steps.
So I guess for now, I'll just take the small victories and give them great big bear hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment